Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Etana explores her Freedom of Speech with new Sophomore Effort



The freedom of expression, which serves as the very foundation for all other freedoms, has never been adequate compensation for those individuals who lack talent. Fortunately for genuine lovers of great music, reggae songbird, Etana, is no such individual. The vivacious vocalist is exercising her unalienable right to mouth melodies of passion and meaning on her highly anticipated sophomore album, Free Expressions, which is scheduled for a February release.

The new project comes hot on the heels of Etana’s new digital EP, Free, which serves as a delightful appetizer for what promises to be a musically sumptuous main course meal. In the midst of promoting her new album, the petite poet from August Town Jamaica took time out of her busy schedule to participate in an exclusive interview with Fast Food for Thought. Here she discusses her two loves, which are music and life.

The title of your second album is “Free Expressions.” Has free expression been easy or difficult to come by for you?

It hasn’t been hard at all. Most of the songs on this album came about through inspiration. I think that there was a time where I’ve been like “Oh gosh, I can’t write these lyrics,” but this time they just came to me naturally.

How does this new album differ from your critically acclaimed debut?

The debut album was me introducing myself to the world. I also think that it was heavily fused with different genres of music. There was some R&B, there was also a world music vibe going on. It was me showing you that I’m multi-talented. This album is more deeply rooted in reggae, or rather, reggae soul to me. There is some soulful music on this new album. The message in the music is always there, but I think that I’m more deeply rooted in reggae this time around with some soulful music.

There are many talented singers, but not all of them write their own music. Twelve of the fourteen cuts on this new LP were written by you. So as a singer who actually writes her own music, what do you love most about writing?

You get to say what you like exactly the way your heart feels it. The words that I sing come from some place deep inside of me. It comes from a place that I can’t touch physically, and I think that that is the most beautiful thing about it.

One of the things that I’ve always noticed listening to your music is that you’re categorized as a reggae artist but your music defies classification into any genre. Are you aware of that?

I’ve heard that a couple of times. I’m happy that I can express my music the way I feel it. That’s why I call my music reggae soul, because it reflects how I feel deep down in my soul. It’s nice to work with a different beat, a different rhythm—the world is colorful. You might have the reggae drumbeat and timpani mixed with a country vibe, or take some sounds from African music and incorporate it into a reggae sound. Music should reflect our world. It’s a world mixed with all kinds of spices, colors, languages and people.

That sounds like a wise approach you have to your music, because you’re broadening your audience by feeding them what they already know they like, while at the same time exposing them to something that might be totally new. You’re helping people to expand their musical tastes which is always a good thing. In your music video for “Happy Heart,” which is a very vivid, very colorful video by the way, there was a white woman ordering your love interest around. Was she portraying Annie Palmer, the white plantation owner of Rose Hall in Jamaica?

Yes she was.


Ah! See, I just wanted to confirm that because the music video brought me to that page out of Jamaica’s history book. Did you initially have the support of your family when you decided that you wanted to pursue a career as a recording artist?


Uh….no.
What was that experience like for you?

Well, sometimes I do things that my family, relatives, or even the average man in the street might say “Okay, now she’s crazy.” My mom would say to me “You can’t believe in America. You can’t do this right now because you have a lot of things ahead of you.” But now I think that they’ve come to respect and appreciate what I do and the way that I’m doing it.

That’s beautiful Etana. What originally was your mom’s vision for you?

She wanted me to be a doctor.

Well she must be very proud of you now, because not only have you made a name for yourself, but you’re happy and the art that you put out pretty much speaks for itself. Do you own an iPod or an MP3 player?

Of course (laughs)


Well hey, I didn’t want to assume (laughs). You could’ve been the last woman besides my mom who prefers to use a discman. Are there any songs on your playlist that you’re embarrassed about?


No! (Laughs). I like Lil’ Wayne’s stuff. I like Ludacris’ “How Low Can You Go.” Growing up I loved Lady Saw. I listen to everything.


So you’re eclectic?

Yeah man!

Is there any genre of music that you can’t stand?

None in particular. I hate when people really think they’re doing something and it’s just trash.


Obviously, there are many people who know and love your music, but they don’t necessarily know you personally. Do you have any talents that you think might surprise them?

I do hair.


Yeah? When did you start and what are some of the things you can do with hair?

I’ve been doing it since high school. I can do micro braids, weaving, stuff like that.

That’s tight. So with regards to your new album, what should fans expect?


They should expect growth, not only in the lyrics, but in the recitation. There are a lot of vibes, lots of energy.


Any thoughts on the cholera outbreak in Haiti?



Retribution. Listen to that song. I think you’ll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment